Outside Contributors

It’s Worth Pressing Pause On Remote Work Until You’ve Changed These Things

It’s Worth Pressing Pause On Remote Work Until You’ve Changed These Things


As crazy as the suggestion might have seemed pre-pandemic, this past year has seen the remote working setups that were previously bubbling under the business surface come very much to the fore. In many cases, this happened in an overnight shift which, undeniably, left companies reeling. 

Now, a year on and a whole load of communication tools later, most companies are on a much better remote footing, and many are even asking one key question – should their company keep working from home? After all, over four-fifths of businesses, including frontrunners like Google and Facebook, have already stated their intention to keep at least some semblance of remote work moving forward.

Unfortunately, even if you’ve been getting along nicely as it stands, clients have been a lot more forgiving of minor slip-ups as companies adjust, but that isn’t going to last forever. What’s more, as it really does become a new normal, remote work is set to bring further challenges to the fore that you might not be prepared for.

With that in mind, even if you can see remote work on your horizon, you might benefit from pressing pause until you’ve taken care of the following potential pain points. 

# 1 – A shaken security infrastructure

During 2020 alone, cybersecurity breaches increased by 400%, and remote work  played a huge part in that. While most companies have found their way back to even footing, a long-term remote focus certainly isn’t without its security risks. As such, before you can implement this way of working business wide, it’s fundamental to reassess security processes while keeping what you’ve already learned about remote risks in mind. Companies who have fallen foul this past year are especially leaning towards the managed services offered by an IT company like Envision IT Partners. This ensures security monitoring with expert knowledge to back it up, guaranteeing that your security solutions shift as remote processes do.

# 2 – Finding new ways to track employee wellbeing

One thing that’s become painfully obvious this year is the potential for mental health deterioration during home working, with at least a third of employees reporting feelings of isolation. Worse, employers have been entirely ill-equipped to offer support for these setbacks, and that’s got to change. Specifically, managers need to perfect long-distance check-ins using platforms like Zoom, alongside online counseling services for easy employee access where necessary.

Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

# 3 – Ensuring a situation to suit everyone 

A recent survey revealed that 65% of respondents want to continue working remotely, but employers need to realize that this leaves 35% who don’t. As such, taking this time to ensure a setup that suits everyone is essential. Most importantly, employers may find it useful to take this time to adapt to flexible, rather than remote work, using options such as communal office rentals for at least a few days each week. 

The facts speak for themselves, and remote working most probably is here to stay. But, pressing pause and considering these issues is your best possible shot at a remote future that you can rely on.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.